You don’t know whatcha don’t know until you know! Building muscle and doing fat loss the right way is lost on most women.
So, when you know better, you do better.
Well, if you don’t know how to do things better, I got you!
Let’s dive into the ways you’ve been doing this fat-loss thing and muscle-building the wrong way. Then we wrap it up with the right ways to do the things!
What you thought about fat loss and building muscle:
- You probably didn’t know that the harder you diet, or the steeper the deficit, the more challenging it is to adhere to the diet.
- You probably didn’t also realize that losing weight fast is a recipe for disaster. Or that it would set you up for a lifelong battle of yo-yo dieting.
- You didn’t realize that protein is the cornerstone of building muscle. Also, that protein maintains your muscles, keeps you fuller longer, and has the highest thermic effect of food – it takes longer to digest, hence why it keeps you fuller longer. Protein is the KING of macronutrients.
- When your fat loss phase doesn’t prioritize protein, you’ll lose the muscle you had and come out of the diet looking like a smaller version of yourself with no muscle tone.
- You also probably didn’t know that to build muscle, you have to train and eat in a way to build muscle tissue. Group fitness, Boot Camps, Orange Theory, and things like that will only get you to a point.
- Building muscle requires CALORIES – enough calories and protein.
- You usually can’t do both lose and build at the same time unless you are a complete newbie to lifting. There are a few other populations that can, but you are likely not one of them.
- You probably didn’t realize that muscle is your metabolic powerhouse.
Lastly, I don’t want the list to get too long, so let’s wrap it up…
- You probably didn’t realize that you should have an exit plan after the fat loss phase is over. You started eating as you did before the diet and gained all the weight back, plus some.
So frustrating, right?
Here’s what you need to know so that you are informed moving forward…
The right way to approach your fat loss PHASE and your Muscle Building Efforts:
1) You shouldn’t have to white knuckle your way through your diet unless you choose to, which will come with consequences. Sure, a calorie deficit can be challenging, but it shouldn’t be so restrictive that you have to escape from it on a regular basis!
The more extreme the diet, the harder it is to maintain your results for the long haul.
2) Eating enough protein should be the TOP priority. It’s not a macro to skimp out on. Aim to eat .7 – 1 gram per pound of body weight.
3) If you truly want to have muscle, look/be toned, and have visible muscle at rest, group fitness classes won’t get you there. Same for increasing your strength with big lifts and such.
Group fitness is a wonderful way to start working out. For most, it’s the entry into working out, being part of a fitness community, having fun, etc. However, it’s not the same as real lifting. Check out this Reel for more on why group friends classes like F45, Orange Theory, BodyPump, or Beach Body aren’t actual Strength Training!
So, if you desire more than just a sweaty workout, you’ll have to get some heavier weights in your hands and a structured lifting program with progressive overload principles.
Check out my monthly Strength Training Membership, The STRONGER Way, here! The STRONGER Way is a monthly strength training program designed to help you get strong, build muscle, and perfect your form. It’s a professional strength training program, feedback platform, and support group all in one. Training blocks rotate every four weeks to keep you building muscle and seeing steady improvements in strength. Check it out here… your gainz are waiting!
Losing fat and building muscle the right way:
4) There are many reasons protein is KING! It should be prioritized, as mentioned in number two, but one of women’s biggest mistakes when trying to lose weight is not eating enough protein.
Protein sends a signal for the body to hold unto muscle, as well as maintain or build it. Specifically, in a fat loss phase, you want to eat enough protein to hold onto your precious muscle tissue so that you haven’t lost all your muscle when your fat loss phase is over! 🙁
Most women get to the end of the diet and don’t look like they thought they would because there was a lack of focus on PROTEIN, and they were not training in a way to keep the muscle during the deficit.
Furthermore, we know that some hunger is expected in a diet phase, but if you’re not ever satiated after your meals, you’re probably coming up short on protein.
5) Losing and gaining the same weight over and over, ain’t it, STRONG friend.
As mentioned in this blog above, I can’t help but say it again… the more extreme the approach, the harder the rebound, aka gaining all your weight back plus some.
So, instead, approach your fat loss phases with a moderate cut of calories from your maintenance calories. Don’t spend forever in the diet phase. Take diet breaks. Go to back
maintenance – spend time there EVEN if you haven’t lost all the weight/fat, then go back into a cut.
And while you’re at it, make sure you have cemented habits you can carry with you after losing weight.
6) Muscle is the organ of longevity. Muscle is your metabolism. It keeps the body young. Muscle is expensive. It’s hard to come by…
So, make sure you keep it. Keep lifting, keep moving, and eat well in the form of enough quality food & enough calories as well as, you guessed it – protein!
7) When you come out of a diet phase, your metabolism is not where you started the diet, and your hunger hormones are ready for some action. If you had to get to lower calories over time to lose, you don’t want to stay there!!
The After-After Diet, AKA the Reverse Diet:
It’s super important to come out of a fat loss phase smartly. This is the aftercare diet! Increase calories to current maintenance and even work to get them up there more overtime!!
I don’t know about you, but I want to be eating as many calories as possible to be living my best life! Check out my blog on the importance of diet breaks here.
So, now you know! So now you do better.
If you want to stop struggling with your body, you gotta do this body change thing right. The diet and fitness extremes and the banning of foods, ain’t it, STRONG friend. It won’t cut it. If you don’t see yourself doing those things for life, don’t do it that way. Think long-haul mentality!
And that’s a wrap.
I hope this blog was insightful and eye-opening for you. I only want the best for you. If you have any thoughts, reflections, or questions, don’t hesitate to reach out!
Happy Lifting, Happy Gainz! And here’s to approaching your fat loss efforts sanely and sustainably!
If you have questions or comments, don’t hesitate to reach out; I am happy to help!
For coaching inquiries, email me @ firstname.lastname@example.org or book a STRONGER You Connection Call here.
And be sure to check out my Monthly Training Membership, The STRONGER Way, here!